Board of Elders
Calvary Chapel of Asheville is governed by a board of elders
• Pastor David Barger
• John Bare
• Darrell King
• Pastor Billy Osigian
• Pastor Bob Wilson
Pastor Billy Osigian
• Was born and raised in New Orleons, Louisiana as the 9th of 12 children.
• Attended Mandeville High School, Mandeville, LA, and graduated in 1979
• Attended LSU (Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA)
and SLU (South Eastern Louisiana University, Hammond, LA)
• Married Francesca on April 14, 1990
• Ordained to the ministry in 1993 by Pastor Bob Coy, Calvary Chapel, Fort Lauderdale
• Has five children Breanna, Rachel, Talia, Will, and Wesley
and five grandchildren, David, Jonathan, Ataylei, Christopher, and Ella Grace
• Planted Calvary Chapel Asheville in 1993 and has served there as senior pastor since then.
Pastor Billy Osigian was born in New Orleans, Louisiana into an Armenian/Irish/Italian/German family. When the number of little, exuberant Osigian children brimmed the square footage of their home with twelve, they moved across Lake Ponchatrain to Mandeville. That is where Billy spent his teen years and graduated high school. While Billy attended LSU in Baton Rouge, he accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior and became involved in Campus Crusade for Christ.
Billy moved to Fort Lauderdale, Florida in 1990 where he met and married Francesca. He met Francesca while attending Calvary Chapel. They served in many ministries there together. They served as telephone counselors on the Youth Crisis Hotline 1-800-HIT-HOME. However they fell in love while Fran directed a children's play with Billy as the adult lead. Little did they know that these opportunities would prove to be testing ground for them as parents, foster parents and Billy as a Pastor and an APD Chaplain. Billy also taught Home Fellowships, New Believers classes and several Youth Groups.
Pastor Billy was ordained by Pastor Bob Coy of Calvary Chapel Fort Lauderdale April of 1993 after the Lord called them to Asheville, North Carolina to start a church. They were hesitant coming to a city so saturated with churches, but God's calling was so clear that they knew if they didn't come that they would be disobedient. Here are some of the scriptures and writing that the Lord used as a foundation for this ministry. In July 1992 while in Asheville to "Spy out the Land" their regular devotionals revealed the following:
• "The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms." — Deu 33:27a (NKJV)
• "Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds His people from this time forth and forever." — Psalm 125:1-2 (NKJV)
• "Your dwelling place and your home is in My arms. As the mountains are round about Jerusalem, so am I round about My people forever. Don't reject My embrace" — Marie Chapian, His Thoughts Towards Me, Page16.
• "Then the LORD turned to him and said, "Go in this might of yours, and you shall save Israel from the hand of the Midianites. Have I not sent you?" So he said to Him, "O my Lord, how can I save Israel? Indeed my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father's house." And the LORD said to him, "Surely I will be with you, and you shall defeat the Midianites as one man." Then he said to Him, "If now I have found favor in Your sight, then show me a sign that it is You who talk with me."Do not depart from here, I pray, until I come to You and bring out my offering and set it before You." And He said, "I will wait until you come back." — Judges 6:14-18 (NKJV)
• "And as He walked by the Sea of Galilee, He saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. Then Jesus said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men." They immediately left their nets and followed Him." — Mark1:16-18 (NKJV)
• "Then Moses said to the Lord, "O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant; but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue." So the Lord said to him, "Who has made man's mouth? Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing, or the blind? Have not I, the Lord? Now therefore, go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall say." — Exodus 4:10-12 (NKJV)
• They were hooked and burdened with this calling to teach God's Word, chapter by chapter, verse by verse. The Lord confirmed this calling to the women of Calvary Chapel while in attendance at a woman's bible study at the Cove, an elderly woman said "I wish our churches taught through the bible like this."
• The vision of Calvary Chapel of Asheville is to faithfully teach God's Word for the purpose of drawing people unto His salvation,
(1) to disciple
(2) through the knowledge of Jesus
(3) at His Word
(4) and to love
(5) and encourage
(6) one another in fellowship.
• "So then faith [comes] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." — Romans 10:17 (NKJV)
• "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." — 2Timothy 3:16-17 (NKJV)
• "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." — John 10:27
• "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." — 2Timothy 2:15 (NKJV)
• "By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." — John 13:35(NKJV)
• "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching." — Hebrews 10:25 (NKJV)
A cool fact of another confirmation of God through the teaching of His Word: At our 15th anniversary we had just completed the New Testament for the third time and the Old Testament for the first. We couldn't have planned that if we tried. "For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." — Hebrews 4:12